Monday, April 11, 2011 | By: Gerrylocs

Curls with pipecleaners

 I have to admit, before I started blogging I had never heard of pipecleaners, and judging by the blank looks I got while searching for them in the shops, not many South Africans know what they are :-)

Anyways, many tobacco, art and craft shops later, I finally found them ( only sold in a multi-coloured pack!) and getting enough black ones meant I had to BEG the shop assistant to transfer black ones from other packs to mine :-)

I immediately went to work and I kept them for 2 nights and a full day in between...on that day I had to take a Ugandan friend for a Robin Island tour and both tourists and locals looked at my hair with curiosity but I really couldn't be bothered. PS: I took one one out just to see if it was worth running around with pipecleaners while I waited for my hair to set properly, don't know if you can see the undone one in the pic above.
This was the result when I finally took them out.

5 days later, my curls have dropped a bit but still look gorgeous, in fact I like them more now. I will post some more pics on how they look now as soon as I can take pics with a proper camera.

I think this is going to be my regular curl of choice. I have been using bendable curlers but the curls don't last as long and it is just not possible to go out in public with them, unlike pipecleaners, which I can keep on a relaxed day like Sunday and still manage casual visits and an trip to the shop.

I just hope they last at least a few sets before they get worn out.

More pic later and cheers for now...

13 comments:

Kreyola said...

It came out really pretty I think. I can't wait for the rest of the pictures.

Mrs Mac's Corner... said...

Ohhh I love this style, you wear it well! Did you get my email?

Gerrylocs said...

Thanks Kreyola, will upload soonest :-)

Mrs Mac, no, I didn't get your emal :-( left a comment on your blog...

Mrs Mac's Corner... said...

Thanks hun, just sent another one, hope you get it, oh I forgot to ask the pic you have by your responses in the black top and glasses, how did you get those curls, I love them!!

Anonymous said...

Very lovely! I also like the colored tips, the color brings the curls out more.

Gerrylocs said...

thx Madame H :-)

Anonymous said...

I love your hair and I'm currently in search of a do it yourself locing method. I had sisterlocs for 8 years but they got ruined when I had to change consultants and the second one had no idea what she was doing. So I had to cut them off and now have an afro that is very difficult to maintain. I want to loc again but next time be able to maintain it myself. I am Ugandan and also live in the US and want to open a natural hairstyle salon and school in Kampala. Thanks for blogging your journey very inspirational.

z said...

Your curls are beautiful! I see everyone experimenting with pipe cleaners, and i've only used them once (4 years ago). I guess it's time for me to try them once again! You're such an inspiration which is why....

I nominated you for the Stylish Blogger Award. :-)

Queenlocks said...

Your hair is nice, very NICE!
Take Care~

Queenlocks.com

Gerrylocs said...

Mrs Mac, I didn't reply to your post, sorry hun.. I got using bendable straw curlers, at least that's what they are called here. Beautiful curls but don't last long (3 days or so)...

@Anonymous - I just came back from your country, beautiful place. Thank you for reading my blog and all the best in your new lock journey, to be able to do your own hair is to be empowered :-)

@Dewdrop - thanks a lot, your nomination means a lot, been smiling all day :-) I stalked your blog for a good couple of months before convincing myself I can do this microlock thing all by myself in SA...so your recognition is like...wow!!!!

Queenlocks - many thanks, I really love your website, too awesome :-)

realdealspeil said...

I've done the pipecleaners but when I rolled my hair using saran wrap the curls lasted 17 days. To see the process and the end look watch: http://youtu.be/N4TLKIC0zMU
and http://youtu.be/kslsdgw68QA
My hair is between 20 and 33 inches long and I used about ten locks per piece of plastic wrap, I guess.

Unknown said...

Hi I have been loooking for pipecleaners for ages now...where do you buy them I search everyone I can in cape town.

Unknown said...

Hi Mpho,hope you got the pipecleaner curlers by now. Please let me know where i can get some in cape town. Thanks

Post a Comment

Gerrylocs. Powered by Blogger.